Prior abseiling experience is necessary to undertake this course. We recommend an understanding of basic abseiling techniques, knots, etc. Our Abseiling 1 course is a great starting point and our Abseiling 2 course is even better. The greater your understanding of the basics, the more you will get out of this course!
The Canyon Leader’s Course is ideal preparatory training for Outdoor Club Leaders, Climbers and Adventure Training Leaders wishing to gain more advanced skills and experience when supervising a Canyoning Group.
Subjects covered in this course include:
- Canyon abseil anchors (Removing old & Building new)
- Retrievable Rope Systems
- Rigging for rescue & efficiency
- Self-belaying methods
- Self-rescue techniques
- Belay systems for others
- Dealing with emergencies such as a “stuck” abseiler
- Basic rescue systems
- Rope handling
- Ascending ropes using
- Improvised Methods
- Improvised Abseiling Methods
- Rescue Abseils
- Lowering and Raising systems
- Descending past a knot
- Ascending past a knot & top edges
- Complex hauling systems
- Complex lowering systems
- Backing up anchors and anchor components
- Trip Planning
- Recommended equipment
- Group workshopping of emergency scenarios, including benightment
- Group Management
- Environmental Protection
- Risk Assessment and Management
- Technical briefings for participants
- Safety Briefings for participants
This course will ensure you are a capable canyon leader who is equipped to manage the dynamic situations found whilst canyoning. You will be skilled to tackle emergency situations should they arise.
- Australia’s most experienced adventure guiding & outdoor training specialists – The Australian School of Mountaineering
- Nationally qualified & highly experienced guides
- All technical equipment
- Delicious & nutritious Lunch (Please inform us of any requirements on your booking info)
- All National Parks’ entrance fees
- 15% off in our partner store, Paddy Pallin Katoomba
After we process your booking an information sheet detailing specific equipment and dress requirements will be sent to you.
If you do not receive an immediate booking confirmation you may be the opening booking for this activity, our office will contact you shortly to confirm your booking.