Before your booking is processed we will contact you to discuss your previous experience and suitability for this trip.
We park our vehicle at Mt Hay, and after a short entry walk across beautiful heath-lands, we find ourselves in the top of the canyon. As the canyon walls slowly close in we will descend approximately 330m vertically through abseils, down-climbs, scrambles and water jumps.
The highlight of this trip is the infamous Chockstone Abseil– 20 meters down on to, and then 20 meters off of, a small boulder wedged between the canyon walls. The Canyon at this point is massive- Huge walls on both sides which reverberate the noise of the waterfall below- An experience you won’t soon forget!
The exit of this canyon sees us gain 350m of elevation in a very short time. The gradient even reaches vertical and requires a rock climb to gain the next ledge up on the cliff line.
(This climb is approx 12m tall, approx grade 12, with 100m+ of vertical exposure to the valley below).
As always, your safety is our priority- You will be on rope, and belayed through this section of the exit. This trip is run by our senior guides who, as well as holding nationally recognised Abseil & Canyon Qualifications, are Qualified and highly experienced Climbing Instructors.
- Good fitness is absolutely necessary for this canyon
- Previous Abseiling experience
- Comfortable being at height in exposed places
- Climbing experience is advantageous though not necessary
- Australia’s most experienced adventure guiding & outdoor training specialists – The Australian School of Mountaineering
- Nationally qualified & highly experienced guides
- All technical equipment
- Delicious & nutritious Lunch (Please inform us of any requirements on your booking info)
- All National Parks’ entrance fees
- 15% off in our partner store, Paddy Pallin Katoomba
Please be aware that:
- Canyoning involves a variety of challenges- Lots of hiking, cold water swimming, scrambling over slippery surfaces and potentially rock climbing
- All participants must carry their own pack for the day and while negotiating these obstacles
- Good, closed toe footwear is required (Old sneakers are adequate)
- It’s going to be cold! We will provide a wetsuit, we recommend you bring a woolen or synthetic fleece layer also (No cotton- it will not work when wet!)
- A raincoat is required as emergency gear. This will help trap warm air against you and keep you extra warm. (We can provide this if necessary, but your own will be nicer and fit better!)
- We recommend all particpants are over 14 Years of age. Please call us if you have younger people who are keen for adventure!
- Bring spare clothes and a towel- You will need them when you get back to the office