Before your booking is processed we will contact you to discuss your previous experience and suitability for this trip.
For many this canyon defines what Blue Mountains canyoning is all about. We start our day from Mt Wilson and descend down to the Wollangambe river. A moment to cool off our feet is followed by an arduous climb up the far side of the river, onto a long ridge that takes us to the top of our canyon- The entry walk takes us approximately 2 hours.
Our first abseil drops us down 15 meters in to Whungee Whengee canyon and the fun begins soon after. Throughout this canyon we will do 3 more abseils and lots of scrambling, squeezing and swimming through fantastic green sections that simply can not be rivaled.
This canyon involves advanced obstacles which will require you to swim through tunnels lit by glow worms, grovel through dark cave squeezes and potentially negotiate short “duck unders” to pass log & boulder obstacles (water level dependent). This trip is not suitable for the claustrophobic.
The end of Whungee Whengee features the best section of slot canyon to be found near Mt Wilson, narrow, deep and extremely humbling. From here we proceed down the Wollangambe river. Lots of long swims, scrambles and boulder hopping take us to our exit point, and our 2 hour walk back to our vehicle.
This day involves approximately 600m of elevation gain, through 3 hours of uphill hiking.
- Good fitness is absolutely necessary for this canyon
- Previous Abseiling experience
- Comfortable in tight spaces and the dark
- Australia’s most experienced adventure guiding & outdoor training specialists – The Australian School of Mountaineering
- Nationally qualified & highly experienced guides
- All technical equipment
- Delicious & nutritious Lunch (Please inform us of any requirements on your booking info)
- All National Parks’ entrance fees
- 15% off in our partner store, Paddy Pallin Katoomba
Please be aware that:
- Canyoning involves a variety of challenges- Lots of hiking, cold water swimming, scrambling over slippery surfaces and potentially rock climbing
- All participants must carry their own pack for the day and while negotiating these obstacles
- Good, closed toe footwear is required (Old sneakers are adequate)
- It’s going to be cold! We will provide a wetsuit, we recommend you bring a woolen or synthetic fleece layer also (No cotton- it will not work when wet!)
- A raincoat is required as emergency gear. This will help trap warm air against you and keep you extra warm. (We can provide this if necessary, but your own will be nicer and fit better!)
- We recommend all particpants are over 14 Years of age. Please call us if you have younger people who are keen for adventure!
- Bring spare clothes and a towel- You will need them when you get back to the office
After we process your booking an information sheet detailing specific equipment and dress requirements will be sent to you.
If you do not receive an immediate booking confirmation you may be the opening booking for this activity, our office will contact you shortly to confirm your booking.