On arrival at Jindabyne you will be met by the ASM instructors who will begin to prepare you for your five-day mountaineering adventure. Your instructors will fit you out with all the necessary equipment, ensure that you are properly clothed and ready for your expedition.
The group will then be transported by minibus and then finally by skis or snowshoes to our unique on-snow basecamp which is situated in close proximity to our favourite climbing areas.
From the basecamp, you will be taught introductory mountaineering techniques under the expert guidance of your instructors.
If the weather allows it, you will also experience climbing on the famous Blue Lake ice.
For additional information please contact our office.
This course will teach you the skills required to:
- Prepare for alpine expeditions
- Travel across snow and ice using snow shoes & gear sleds
- Understand basic snow navigation techniques
- Prepare an alpine base camp & erect 4 season tents
- Prepare improvised snow shelters
- Handle ropes and use basic to intermediate rope systems
- Select, fit and use alpine climbing equipment
- Tie and use the essential knots for alpine climbing
- Build snow anchors
- Belay both a second or a lead climber
- Communicate clearly with your climbing partner
- Fit and use crampons for snow travel & ice climbing
- Ascend & Descend using crampons and ice axes
- Arrest a fall with an ice axe
- Have a basic understanding of avalanche risks and awareness
- Use avalanche beacons and snow probes
- Assess hazards in a vertical environment
- Moderate Fitness
- Previous climbing experience advantageous (see our Rock I Course for details).
- Australia’s most experienced adventure guiding & outdoor training specialists – The Australian School of Mountaineering
- Nationally qualified & highly experienced guides
- All technical equipment
- Delicious & nutritious Lunch (Please inform us of any requirements on your booking info)
- All National Parks’ entrance fees
- 15% off in our partner store, Paddy Pallin Katoomba