Australian School of Mountaineering’s Wilderness Navigation two day course (Off-Track) is expertly designed to provide a very practical as well as theoretical Navigation learning experience for anyone venturing into the outdoors. You will use your newly learnt Navigation skills to be proficient and confident in challenging terrain, knowing your location at all times.
Your fully qualified Certificate IV Trainer & Assessor Instructors will be at your side, ensuring that at the end of this course you will not only know your way but also understand the intricate theory behind the practical sessions.
This course will teach you the necessary skills required to:
- Navigate on & off track with a map & compass
- Understand and use the different Norths
- Understand and use in the field magnetic declination
- Understand the features, index and meanings of a of standard 1:25K topographic map
- Understand and use UTM/UPS co-ordinates in the field as well as classroom
- Learn how the UTM/UPS co-ordinate system is actually derived
- Learn Celestial Navigation
- Understand LAT/LONGS, DMS, DM.DM D.DD and how they are derived and incorporated into a topographic map
- Use Orienteering, Engineering, Sighting and Lensatic compasses in the field
- Practise dead reckoning in the field
- Understand the Global Positioning System and use GPS devices
- Plan, prepare and walk an off track route using 14 digit UTM co-ordinates
- Confidently use white-out techniques to Navigate
- A keen sense of Adventure!
- Bushwalking experience advantageous but not necessary!
- Australia’s most experienced adventure guiding & outdoor training specialists – The Australian School of Mountaineering
- Nationally qualified & highly experienced guides
- All technical equipment
- Delicious & nutritious Lunch (Please inform us of any requirements on your booking info)
- All National Parks’ entrance fees
- 15% off in our partner store, Paddy Pallin Katoomba