Intending participants should have previous rockclimbing and abseiling experience and be able to second/top rope to at least grade 16. Prior to booking this course, we recommend calling our office on (02) 4782 2014 to ensure that this climbing course is appropriate for you.
If you’ve learnt to climb “free” and you aspire to take on the world’s big walls then this course is for you!
Aid climbing and living on big walls is a highly technical aspect of modern rockclimbing and involves the use of a vast array of specialised equipment and techniques not commonly used in more conventional climbing situations. Our instructors have a great deal of big wall experience having climbed on many famous big wall routes both at home and abroad.
Their big wall adventures have included notable ascents in such places as Yosemite, The Alps and also many of the famous Blue Mountains big wall routes such as the mighty “Dog Face”.
While this type of experience is hard won and valuable, our instructors are always ready and keen to share this knowledge with you! On this course we cover all the essential subjects required for aid and big wall climbing.
This course covers:
The use of equipment:
- Belay seats
- Mechanical ascenders
- Placing points of aid
- Using double ropes
- Hanging belays
- Sack hauling
- Hanging bivouacs
These skills are all taught and then put into practice on short aid climbs.
- Australia’s most experienced adventure guiding & outdoor training specialists – The Australian School of Mountaineering
- Nationally qualified & highly experienced guides
- All technical equipment
- Delicious & nutritious Lunch (Please inform us of any requirements on your booking info)
- All National Parks’ entrance fees
- 20% off all gear purchases in our partner store, Paddy Pallin Katoomba